Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Great Grammie and Grampie's House - New Hampshire Trip - Day 9

We made a very special visit to Great Grammie and Grampie's house on Saturday after visiting Crystal Lake. This is the house that my dad grew up in. My Grampie built a large part of this house. When my grandparents passed away, the house was left to my dad. This was our home away from home for the summers. Dad rented it out 11 months out of the year, and we stayed in it the 12 month during our vacation. I have so many memories in this house.
Even though I was only six by the time both of my grandparents passed away, I remember them so vividly. Grampie was always waiting for us as when drove in the driveway. He would be sitting on the inside porch, and he would always pretend that he was going to cut off my finger with his pocket knife. He always wore the same outfit, too. In fact, Jeff's grandfather, who just passed away about a year and a half ago, reminded me so much of my Grampie. He always seemed to wear the same outfit too. I remember Grammie always had pies ready for us when we got there. Custard pie was my favorite, and she always seemed to have blueberry, too. She also always had plenty of wine, but obviously, I didn't drink it! I was so little. I'm so glad that I have these memories of my grandparents.
The house looks out to the mountains. The views are beautiful. My brothers and I each had our own bedroom that we called ours while we were there. The land is beautiful and wooded. The house is on a hill and for years and years each house on the hill was owned by a Richardson, so all of the neighbors were family. My Dad decided to sell the house almost five and a half years ago. In fact, we all made a trip there during spring break of 2003 to get it ready to sell. It was the last time we were in the house. I am so thankful that Jeff and I were able to make that trip. My cousin, Shane, ended up buying the house and now rents it out, so for now it's still in the family. We know it most likely won't be able to stay that way forever though. The other "Richardson houses" on the hill have now been sold as well. Great Aunt Dot's house down the yard was so very special, too. Molasses cookies, egg salad sandwiches, tea with Aunt Dot . . . so many memories. I'll always remember Aunt Dot as such a sweet and beautiful lady. Cousins Howie and Linda lived across the street, and we always went there to play as well.
Shane has been able to rent the house out, so we stopped by for some pictures. We didn't go inside, but we were able to get some pictures outside. At first, I wasn't sure that I wanted to take pictures because it doesn't look just the way it used to as I remember it, but my dad talked me into it anyway. Years change things, and it's just not the same. He said that I would regret it if I didn't get pictures of the girls there, and he's probably right, so I went ahead and took pictures. It just makes me sad that it's not Grammie and Grampie's house anymore, and so I don't really want to look at it any other way. I guess I'm just a sensitive traditionalist and there are so many emotions connected to that house as a kid, especially for my brother Stephen. He really does love that house. He has more memories of that house than I do since he's older.
Dad really enjoyed showing the girls around. This was a very special moment for my mom and dad. They just couldn't believe that the day came for them to be able to have their grandkids there. Actually, they had their oldest grandbaby there five and a half years ago. My nephew, Luke, was 14 months old when he was at the house. My parents have loved being able to see those three grandkids there.
I could go on and on about the memories at this house. I'm so glad that I was able to see our girls enjoy the short stay there on Saturday.

Poppy showing Elaina around his childhood property.

Elaina playing in Great Grammie and Grampie's field.

Poppy and his girls

Emily and Elaina in front of Great Grammie and Grampie's house.

Emily, MeMe, Elaina and Poppy.

Our family


Uncle Ernie and Dad (Cousin Howie and Linda's former house in the background, which was in the Richardson family for generations.)

No comments: