Wednesday, July 23, 2008

When It's Gloomy, You Shop . . . and Do Laundry! - New Hampshire Trip - Day 6

Today was a gloomy day, and we had light showers throughout the day. It didn't keep us from getting things done that we wanted to do. We just had to rearrange our schedule for the week a little bit.

We spent all day up the road in North Conway shopping. What else is there to do on a gloomy day? So, we decided to shop . . . WITH EVERY OTHER TOURIST IN THE AREA! It was crazily packed in the village, but I think that just makes it that much more fun. We had a great day, and best of all, we were able to spend the entire day with our Aunt Penny. She had the day off of work, so she came a long, too! She was exhausted by the end of the day. I told her about how our friend, Jill, makes fun of us back home because we take all day when we go out to shop - even if it's just for one thing! Now Aunt Penny has experienced it first hand. We bought some shirts and hats in the shops in the village. We also went to J.C. Penney because my Aunt Penny works there. She was able to pick us up some fall clothes for the girls with an extra 25% employee discount on top of the already sale price. We are very thankful that she did that for us! We had a great day and just really enjoyed being in the North Conway Village with all of the other tourists.

Since it was raining this evening, mom and I decided to head to the laundromat. I always went to the laundromat with my mom when we were in New Hampshire as a kid, and I really didn't see any big deal about. She would do laundry and we would fish at the pond outside of the laundromat. Now, I have experienced a whole new side to the laundromat. IT IS AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE! We were there for over two hours, and I only did two loads of laundry. I won't bore you with all of the irritating details. Basically, I discovered that a laundromat is the biggest waste of time and money on the planet! The washers don't wash unless you run your clothes through twice, the machines eat your quarters, and the dryers don't dry, so you have to end up taking home wet clothes after putting a fortune into the dryers until you finally decide to give up and take the clothes home to hang dry. I hope to never have to go to a laundromat again. I have thanked God several times tonight for the washer and dryer that is at our home in Indiana. As a mother myself now, I understand how my mother felt all of those years that we spent three weeks up here as I grew up. Thanks, Mom, for doing our laundry at the laundromat when we were on vacation as kids. I now know first hand how frustrating it was for you. I love you, Mom! You're the best!

No comments: